Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best rain jacket?

cody.wms is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Best rain jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    But it needs some pit zips for better ventilation; I doubt I'll be wearing this jacket much after April. It also has super bright reflective piping on the seams for night riding.
    I picked one up last week and took it back. billlrick nails my main concern with it -- no zips, so it'll end up being way too hot once spring rolls around. FWIW, I did an hour and a half in it, during very light rain, and came back soaked on the inside. It was high 50s, and I just had the jacket and a baselayer on.

vertical_doug is offline VSalonistas

I am a wuss. When it rains, I just go for a trail run. Problem solved.

72gmc is offline VSalonistas

I still want a Showers Pass Elite someday. An eVent jacket with good venting and pit zips would be perfect.
    I got mine on a screaming deal online. A blatant violation of my shop local philosophy but I really like riding in the rain. My alternative plan was to take a cheaper jacket to the tailor I've had repair a jersey and see if she could add pit zips.
    a one bike believer

lavi is offline VSalonistas

Have been riding in the Novara Verita jacket for a month now and I can highly recommend it. Especially at that price . . . $100 for a full eVent jacket is a serious deal. For aerobic activities, it does breathe better than any other fabric I've tried. But it needs some pit zips for better ventilation; I doubt I'll be wearing this jacket much after April. It also has super bright reflective piping on the seams for night riding. I'd say it is a medium cut - not super slim racer fitted but not baggy. no flapping fabric at speed. I'm 6'0" tall and have a 36" arm reach. The large fits me perfectly.

I still want a Showers Pass Elite someday. An eVent jacket with good venting and pit zips would be perfect.
    Considering your sizing, the Showers Pass won't work for you. I own(ed) both the REI eVent(kept) and the Showers Pass Elite(returned).

I think the REI jacket is better than the Showers Pass based on fit. The only bad thing is the lack of venting. I'm 6'2" with 36" sleeves. The REI fits great. The sleeves are actually plenty long enough. Not so with the Showers Pass. The sleeves on the L aren't even close to being long enough...and it's a much boxier cut.

I really wanted the Showers pass because it has better reflective for night commutes and it has much better venting. The fit was a deal killer though. It's also over 2x the price of the REI jacket.

72gmc is offline VSalonistas

I'm 6'1 and wear a 35 sleeve. The SP Elite Pro in large fits me much better than the SP Club Pro.
    a one bike believer

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post
    I really wanted the Showers pass because it has better reflective for night commutes and it has much better venting. The fit was a deal killer though. It's also over 2x the price of the REI jacket.
    I'm not sure if you are handy with a sewing machine, but I dont think it would be too hard to sew some reflective material on your jacket and seam-seal it afterwards. This is something I've been thinking about doing. I'll investigate it further and report back.

mraceebb is offline VSalonistas

While people are talking about Showers Pass, how small are the smalls? I'm a pretty slim guy, 5'10" 125/130lbs. Most jackets I try end up being quite baggy in the chest. Are the SP smalls fairly boxy, or are they really small? I like the look of their softshell too, but haven't found anywhere to try them on.

Eric Estlund is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by mraceebb View Post
    While people are talking about Showers Pass, how small are the smalls? I'm a pretty slim guy, 5'10" 125/130lbs. Most jackets I try end up being quite baggy in the chest. Are the SP smalls fairly boxy, or are they really small? I like the look of their softshell too, but haven't found anywhere to try them on.
    Depends on the model.

lukasz is online now VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    I picked one up last week and took it back. billlrick nails my main concern with it -- no zips, so it'll end up being way too hot once spring rolls around. FWIW, I did an hour and a half in it, during very light rain, and came back soaked on the inside. It was high 50s, and I just had the jacket and a baselayer on.
    You mean you were sweating, right?

I already have a eVent jacket with no frills. Guess I don't mind the sweat issue that much. I've read that the REI jacket is really slim. Is that true? I wear a medium in euro-fit stuff like Castelli, except I'm 6'2". What with the long sleeves the fit sounds great. Wonder what it would take to get someone to put pit zips on it ;) A lot easier than making a baggy jacket less baggy in this materials, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    You mean you were sweating, right?
    Ha! Yes, from sweat. The eVent hype makes you think that you don't need any venting, but I didn't think it "breathed" any better than Gore-Tex. Pit zips would make a big difference to me.

The jacket isn't that slim. It's more tailored than a typical Patagonia jacket, or whatever, but it's not as slim as Assos, for example.

blasdelf is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Novara Verita Bike Jacket - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

Ok I'm going to go try this on. Maybe I can stand the orange. For the price it can't be beat.
    It really can't be beat, especially not for the price and REI guarantee. The fit is amazing. Even at triple the price it's hard to find something that isn't a worse garment.

I do wish they'd make the mens jacket in any of the other colors they make eVent stuff in.

For me the trick to not getting steamy in it is to keep the baselayers underneath minimal, but I'm not a sweathog.

0nelove is offline VSalonistas

another vote for Showers Pass. The eVent jacket is nice, but a bit heavier than the other one. Passed my test of freezing Oregon rain many times.

charliedid is online now VSalonistas

The one you remember to bring with.

Matt Smith is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
    The one you remember to bring with.
    Indeed. I should have checked the weather last night. Got caught out in a hell of a squall on the way home tonight. So much for "sunny southern California"...
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition, that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

lukasz is online now VSalonistas

Well, I wasn't going to get to go to an REI for another two weeks, so I just ordered a Medium off the site (along with deeply discounted XC ski boots. You know, for next winter). I'll finally be able to give my current eVent jacket a break (and a wash, hah). Hooray!

Ahneida Ride Hide is offline VSalonistas

Call Lou at Foxwear

All 100% Custom to measure and hand crafted in USA.
    Best quality and priced right !

It's a no brainer .... Honest
    The Definitive Performance Wrap
    www.HandleBra.com

billrick is offline VSalonistas

Quick update . . . my Novara Verita (eVent) jacket did exceptionally well with today's conditions. It is 42 degrees and constant rain here in DC. I did an hour ride and returned completely dry under the shell, despite the lack of pit zips. I suspect the temp differential helped the jacket breath. Wore a wool tee for my base layer. If that is what you face on a regular basis, then it is hard to beat at $100. But it does kind of suck in warmer temps.

JitteryJoe is offline VSalonistas

Anyone here have experience with the Castelli Gabba jersey?
    They're touting it as a something that's at least highly water
    resistant, if not waterproof, but that allows one to avoid having to
    drag along a Clima Jet or similar jacket. I think originally they were
    using the eVent material, but it seems to use Gore Windstopper now.

billrick is offline VSalonistas

Another quick update . . . my Novara Verita (eVent) jacket did exceptionally TERRIBLE with today's conditions. It is 52 degrees and light breeze. I was suffocating and sweating buckets at the same time. Looks like it is time to drag out the Patagonia ultralight windbreaker again.

Looks like it is time to drag out the Patagonia ultralight windbreaker again.
    I'd like to hear more about this one. It's a Houdini, right?

Does anyone have a decent solution for a 50-65 degree day? Above 65 and I can just get wet if it comes down to that.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast