Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: the "approved by UCI" labels atmo -

e-RICHIE is offline Administrator

Default the "approved by UCI" labels atmo -

my apps were sent three weeks ago and my 500 swiss francs were wired this morning.
    guess what?! i got a 'cross fever, and the only prescription...is more labels atmo!

King Of Dirk is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: the "approved by UCI" labels atmo -

Vanity may be Al Pacino's favorite sin, but I've always enjoyed hubris. "Mr. Sachs, you'll be pleased to know your methods and results have been deemed sufficient by those who couldn't reproduce either of them in four lifetimes."

Congratulations nonetheless, but stay tuned for my forthcoming endorsement of the notes played by Wynton Marsalis.

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post
    Vanity may be Al Pacino's favorite sin, but I've always enjoyed hubris. "Mr. Sachs, you'll be pleased to know your methods and results have been deemed sufficient by those who couldn't reproduce either of them in four lifetimes."

Congratulations nonetheless,<cut>
    the boys from brazil atmo...

Ooh, good one. I think Uta Hagen may have made my point once:

"I would like to disagree with George Bernard Shaw's statement that 'He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches' to express my personal belief that 'only he who can should teach," - A Challenge for the Actor

Ooh, good one. I think Uta Hagen may have made my point once:

"I would like to disagree with George Bernard Shaw's statement that 'He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches' to express my personal belief that 'only he who can should teach," - A Challenge for the Actor
    only he who can, can.
    everything else is different or watered down atmo.
    celebrate the diversity because that's all you'll get.

Tristan is offline VSalonistas

Do you get to choose the size and placement of the label? With most modern bikes having 35mm diameter seattubes and supermassive downtubes a label that looks proportional on a carbon vonderbike will wrap all the way around your 28.6 seattube!

ron l edmiston is online now VSalon House Dad-isata

add on "accessory labels" --- only make yo cx team bikes mo valuable ---

ronnie

fierte_poser is offline VSalonistas

Where are these labels being made? And by who?

I remember when labels were a laber of love...

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    my apps were sent three weeks ago and my 500 swiss francs were wired this morning.
    guess what?! i got a 'cross fever, and the only prescription...is more labels atmo!
    an fyi -
    my ordeal is complete with the exception of the approval process which, i am told, takes 2-3 weeks. here is all you
    would do if you're interested in a seamless, hassle-free solution to what's not a problem at all, much less a new rule
    (it's an old rule, but finally being enforced at each race venue):

1) download a 2 page app from the UCI site
    2) mail (not email or fax) it to switzerland
    3) expect a confirmation and an invoice
    4) wire the money
    5) get a secure log in on a site selected by UCI
    6) submit what i did in the images below*
    7) wait for approval

the above applies to ALL frames made with tubular section, regardless of the joining method.
    as long as what you make is in the image of classic, conventional frame designs of the past 25
    years (or more), this will be a non issue. all of this assumes, of course, that you have frames
    destined for UCI C1 and UCI C2 events. oh - they also ask for tubing diameters and dimensions
    between front and rear dropouts atmo. *since all (my) frames are made to order, all they wanted
    was a sampling of a small, a medium, and a large design in linear format. no testing. no sending
    frames to europe. no big deal atmo. since i know what a time commitment it was last year when
    the 34mm tire rule was enforced, i view this (approval label stuff) as a much easier way to ensure
    that frame designs comply without using tape measures at the start of every race, every weekend.

Brian Smith is offline VSalonistas

It's more than being a "Y"s-guy when you're the first one on the phone with 500 CHF asking for answers.

corsa,inc is offline VSalonistas

To think I have a Model 2 that will soon be "approved by UCI"

These Sachs bikes get better and faster all the time.

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

sachs copies available here.
    now that i have the secret frame numbers...

pick
    model 1, 2 or 3.
    Last edited by SteveP; 03-04-2011 at 06:27 AM.

rydesteel is offline VSalonistas

When you finally have a racer large enough for model 3 I'll be anxiously waiting for the after season sale ;>)

Frank
    emptiness is till fullness comes

my approval certificate came in the overnight email.
    i will say that this entire process, forms and all, was easier to complete than a race entry atmo.
    any questions, plmk.

all they wanted
    was a sampling of a small, a medium, and a large design in linear format. no testing. no sending
    frames
    to europe. no big deal atmo. since i know what a time commitment it was last year when
    the 34mm tire rule was enforced, i view this (approval label stuff) as a much easier way to ensure
    that frame designs comply
    without using tape measures at the start of every race, every weekend.
    This is a huge relief, and clears up at least one cat's misunderstanding. Some of us had a sense of "them" sitting in judgment of your work (hence snarky comment about those who can't leaving it to those who can) - and having the leverage to "recommend" changes if they felt them necessary (hence snarky comment about "endorsing" Wynton's notes above). People who want a replica of [insert pro here]'s bike wouldn't care, but those of us who are drawn to a particular framebuilder worried about any other chefs contributing to the stew.
    Last edited by King Of Dirk; 03-04-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: odd that I'd misspell "judgment" of all things

This is a huge relief, and clears up at least one cat's misunderstanding. Some of us had a sense of "them" sitting in judgment of your work (hence snarky comment about those who can't leaving it to those who can) - and having the leverage to "recommend" changes if they felt them necessary (hence snarky comment about "endorsing" Wynton's notes above). People who want a replica of [insert pro here]'s bike wouldn't care, but those of us who are drawn to a particular framebuilder worried about any other chefs contributing to the stew.
    i am guilty of this (above) too to an extent. the initial stories and press releases about all of this were ambiguous and somewhat misleading. it was made worse (or more difficult) for me because the first humans with whom i interacted re this ordeal were from the testing firm rather than the UCI. their jobs span more than the simplified procedure (that's what it's called) that guys like me have to submit to. they were in the "hey - we were hired to do a job and that's all we know" mode. when they finally lateraled me to a real office with a real human being who could answer the actual questions i had about my business and racing team, all of this took a 180 atmo. in short, this all was a very basic application and extremely painless.

anthonymaietta is offline VSalonistas

i will say that this entire process, forms and all, was easier to complete than a race entry atmo.
    Did you ask your bank account the same question?

To be clear. What is the fee (in USD)? $500 per model? $1500 total for you?
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    Did you ask your bank account the same question?

To be clear. What is the fee (in USD)? $500 per model? $1500 total for you?
    one fee covers the range of sizes i could remotely assemble for a 'cross bicycle. the fee? heck, that's why i spent no money on my nahbs booth so i could free up
    the funds for this. my 'cross team is marketing too (just as nahbs is) so i view all of this in the same regard, accounting-wise. this is not a fight, it's a quicken line item.

anthonymaietta is offline VSalonistas

one fee covers the range of sizes i could remotely assemble for a 'cross bicycle. the fee? heck, that's why i spent no money on my nahbs booth so i could free up
    the funds for this. my 'cross team is marketing too (just as nahbs is) so i view all of this in the same regard, accounting-wise. this is not a fight, it's a quicken line item.
    Understood, I wasn't bemoaning the notion of the fee. I've heard numbers ranging from $500 total to $10,000, so from someone who just went through it I was wondering what I might be in for.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    Understood, I wasn't bemoaning the notion of the fee. I've heard numbers ranging from $500 total to $10,000, so from someone who just went through it I was wondering what I might be in for.
    since "we" all make bicycles to order, it's one fee (as far as i can tell). all of this may be very different for the orbeas and treks
    of the world, and more expensive too - as it should be atmo. remember, this is not a them (UCI) against us thing and never was.
    as far as what you "heard" about fees, that's why i am articulating my story here. you did not here it from the UCI. you probably
    heard it from cats who heard it from other cats who, in turn, heard it from cats who never bothered reading the UCI site's pages
    or even bothered to use the contact page there to ask. you can attract more chicks with honey than with vinegar, or whatever
    that saying is...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast