Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ambrosio Nemesis

Jason Musgrave is offline VSalonistas

Default Ambrosio Nemesis

I sent out just shy of 200 rims out to vSalon cats - gotta be some good stories out there. What did you do with yours?

P.S. Without pictures it didn't happen...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Dorman is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Ambrosio Nemesis

You lose serious points for every one I see mounted backwards. Just sayin' biches.

domesgique is offline VSalonistas

Finally getting laced to some White Industries hubs after looking around for a year for Campaganolo Record alloy hubs. Still deciding on Challenge Strada or the Veloflex or Vittoria equivalents to finish them off.

JChasse is offline VSalonistas

How's this - sorry about the crappy pic quality. (Love the wheels. Thanks again to you and Justin S)

Waterford Frt Qtr resize 2.jpg

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

I didn't get any as part that order but I do have several sets, including a set of the desirable 28s. I just disassembled one set but plan to re-lace them someday with some Alchemy hubs. Should make for an indestructible set of wheels. They are nice but I think my older Ambrosio Synthesis ride even nicer as they have even less vertical depth.

I did ride my Nemesis at Baller's last year and they were, of course, the perfect tool for the task at hand.

Cool thread!

velobran is offline VSalonistas

Crappy photo disclaimer. Poor shot of the wheels too.

I think Justin got a batch through Musgrave, right? If not - oh well. They are on my Gaulzetti for the time being.

Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

fixednwinter is offline VSalonistas

Didn't get mine with the big order, but instead ordered them from Terry at RT Wheelcraft. Pics are here on this older thread -

Record/Nemesis: New shoes for my stainless Hampsten

First had 24mm Pave, now shod with 25mm Competitions. Lots of bad roads, gravel and easy hard pack trails over the last year. Comfy and durable, have not needed to true them. They've lived mostly on my Hampco SB, but I also pair them with my MX Leader. I think I'll try them out on the aluminum Primus Mootry too, this spring.

keppler is offline VSalonistas

I now have a set of Justin Spinelli built Ambrsoio Nemesis wheels with WI Campy hubs, 32 F/R CX-Ray spokes, shod with Vittoria CX 25's. I've done a few rides with them on my stiff aluminum bike and they completely changed the feel of the ride. I feel like I'm riding on cotton! I rode over some of the rougher areas of one of my routes, with gravel packed farm roads (not asphalt), with lots of crags, rough patches, etc. I felt like I was floating over the road, unlike the kick-back I get from using clinchers a week before. I'm sold on tubulars now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lazer is offline VSalonistas

I didn't buy my rims from anyone on the forum, as I was unaware of any group order and the $150 per rim (before shipping) from mr. Spinelli was far higher than I wanted to pay so I found my own distribution route thru Italy to get the rims for $70 each. I built the wheels with cx rays (ordered 4mm long so I could run them thru my Phil machine to make them even lighter and more aero for my application), 32h 3x, with ck r45 hubs. Look at my pic in last weekends ride summary to see the wheels on a bike. Tossed some Tracers on the wheels for gravel/cross/mtb use.

Justin Spinelli is offline VSalonistas

These are very hard to get (thank you Jason) and I reserve them for complete wheel builds so I don't feel the need to hand them out like candy.

Glad you found some at a more agreeable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    I didn't buy my rims from anyone on the forum, as I was unaware of any group order and the $150 per rim (before shipping) from mr. Spinelli was far higher than I wanted to pay so I found my own distribution route thru Italy to get the rims for $70 each. I built the wheels with cx rays (ordered 4mm long so I could run them thru my Phil machine to make them even lighter and more aero for my application), 32h 3x, with ck r45 hubs. Look at my pic in last weekends ride summary to see the wheels on a bike. Tossed some Tracers on the wheels for gravel/cross/mtb use.

I'm interested in getting a 2nd set of tubulars for my carbon bike: either Nemesis rims again with Record hubs, or possibly Ambrosio Montreal rims. How do the Montreal compare with the Nemesis in durability and ride feel? Do 25mm tires fit on the Montreal as well as they do on the Nemesis?

I also noticed that my Nemesis rims have the presta valve inside the second 'O' in Ambrosio, whereas there are other Nemesis rims with the valve on the opposite end of the lettering. Why is that? Just curious.

MarkC is offline VSalonistas

A few months after the Nemesis came from the group buy (28H) I bought Dorman's F20 / C-4 wheelset at an amazing price and have been using those instead of building up more wheels. About the same time I sold a set of 32H Nemesis wheels built on silver campy hubs to a salon member and hope they are being ridden regularly.

Regardless, very cool group buy. Particularly to get the 28H rims.

Quote Originally Posted by keppler View Post
    I'm interested in getting a 2nd set of tubulars for my carbon bike: either Nemesis rims again with Record hubs, or possibly Ambrosio Montreal rims. How do the Montreal compare with the Nemesis in durability and ride feel? Do 25mm tires fit on the Montreal as well as they do on the Nemesis?

I also noticed that my Nemesis rims have the presta valve inside the second 'O' in Ambrosio, whereas there are other Nemesis rims with the valve on the opposite end of the lettering. Why is that? Just curious.
    All three Ambrosio rims (Nemesis, Montreal, F20) have the same profile. The extrusion is just gets thicker up the line. Crono F-20's are roughly 375 grams, Montreal is about 425 grams and the Nemesis typically runs around 460 grams. Crono's have the valve hole in the O. Nemesis are on the oposite side of the rim from the laser etching as it wouldn't look good with the balance weight over the etching. Nemesis is the only one with the weight. Montreal's don't have the laser etching, are less expensive than the other two and are probably more suitable for normal riding than the Nemesis. They just don't have the cool factor. You can also get the Montreal in silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    All three Ambrosio rims (Nemesis, Montreal, F20) have the same profile. The extrusion is just gets thicker up the line. Crono F-20's are roughly 375 grams, Montreal is about 425 grams and the Nemesis typically runs around 460 grams. Crono's have the valve hole in the O. Nemesis are on the oposite side of the rim from the laser etching as it wouldn't look good with the balance weight over the etching. Nemesis is the only one with the weight. Montreal's don't have the laser etching, are less expensive than the other two and are probably more suitable for normal riding than the Nemesis. They just don't have the cool factor. You can also get the Montreal in silver.
    My rims say Nemesis on them, with the valve over the 'O', and has the counterweight. Maybe Justin knows why these rims have this setup?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by keppler View Post
    My rims say Nemesis on them, with the valve over the 'O', and has the counterweight. Maybe Justin knows why these rims have this setup?
    Odd. None of my current stock or any that I have had in the last couple of years have been like this. They must have made a batch with the etching rotated to a different position.

sk_tle is offline VSalonistas

Can you guys enlighten me about what is so great about the nemesis compared to the probably more easily sourced competition (velocity escape, mavic reflex) ? I know they have been used for years at P-nd are probably indestrucible but I had the same experience back in the days with the mavic GP4 (they are still used to dry tubulars now the brake tracks are worn out) and so have been the second hand Mavic Reflex wheels I have used for the last 2 years in cyclocross. And those Mavic Reflex rims wth the ceramic break track have a much superior braking to any alu rims I have used so far (never tried any exalith rim).

Lazer is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Spinelli View Post
    These are very hard to get (thank you Jason) and I reserve them for complete wheel builds so I don't feel the need to hand them out like candy.

Glad you found some at a more agreeable price.
    dude, by no means was i dogging your price. just more than i wanted to pay. get that paper, yo!!!

Thatwhichsmashes is offline VSalonistas

I have been impressed by the Ambrosio Nemesis wheels I have. Although my experience with tubulars is extremely limited (my first set ever), they ride nicely and seem incredibly durable.

The finishing on them is perhaps what I was most amazed by; from the laser etched graphics to the machined and annodized balance weight/valve stem plate, they are truly special.

I imagine that my wheelset could have been so much better had they been put together with better components. Mine have straight gauge DT spokes and basic 23cm Vittoria tubular tyres. The seem to ride unusually un-compliant, but I have nothing to compare them too.

*I do have an extra set of essentially new (built but never ridden) Nemesis 32h rims for sale if anyone needs them?
    *FS* Ambrosio Nemesis Tubular Rims (700c 32h F&R) Essentially New. PM for details

*WTB* 60-62cm Single Speed Cross Frame/Set (Steel Preferably)

velobran is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    Odd. None of my current stock or any that I have had in the last couple of years have been like this. They must have made a batch with the etching rotated to a different position.
    Mine also have the valve at the "o". I got mine from Justin.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

krthornton is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Can you guys enlighten me about what is so great about the nemesis compared to the probably more easily sourced competition (velocity escape, mavic reflex) ? I know they have been used for years at P-nd are probably indestrucible but I had the same experience back in the days with the mavic GP4 (they are still used to dry tubulars now the brake tracks are worn out) and so have been the second hand Mavic Reflex wheels I have used for the last 2 years in cyclocross. And those Mavic Reflex rims wth the ceramic break track have a much superior braking to any alu rims I have used so far (never tried any exalith rim).
    In my experience, the Escapes are a harsher ride than the other two. The Escape are light and rather durable while the Reflexes are light but have a problem of cracking at the eyelets sooner rather than later. The Nemesis has a ride like the Reflex but will last longer because it weighs what a rim like that needs to.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast