Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Black Conti Steher.

Lorotomas is offline VSalonistas

Default All Black Conti Steher.

Anyone has experience with the newer All black Steher tubulars. I have read in some online shops that they are made with the Black Chili rubber. Are they as good as the old stuff?

Jose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lorotomas; 02-25-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Can't spell

spopepro is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: All Black Conti Steher.

I just mounted a pair. I don't know if I just did a crappy job of stretching them, or what, but I had a *much* harder time getting them on the rim and centering them than I remember.

As far as the ride qualities... I don't know. I'll only be using them on a concrete track. Can't tell much from that.

fixednwinter is offline VSalonistas

One of the best techniques that I've learned on VS is from Dorman, regarding pre-stretching Continental tires. Soak them in a bathtub overnight, and then stretch them on rims while still damp, pumped up, leaving them on the rim for a few days, before gluing.

I've done this with Conti Comps and it makes a big difference in getting the tubs onto the rims for the actual gluing. Sure, it will never be as easy as mounting Vittoria Pave's or FMB's Roubaix's, but at least you'll be able to get them on the the wheel without excessive cursing or mess.

Lorotomas is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    I just mounted a pair. I don't know if I just did a crappy job of stretching them, or what, but I had a *much* harder time getting them on the rim and centering them than I remember.

As far as the ride qualities... I don't know. I'll only be using them on a concrete track. Can't tell much from that.
    You do not use them on the road at all? At least the old ones are great on the road. I really hope these are the same tires just made black.

Cookietruck is offline VSalonistas

the tread band looks the same and the website implies they only changed the color.

Quote Originally Posted by conti online
    The special class is the reference in indoor time trials. For generations a synonym for reliability – worldwide appreciated and hotly desired by drivers as well as mechanics.

Now we have optically updated the classic among the time trial tubular tyres. Presented completely in black underlines the special class even better and gives it a nobler image. The innermost values remain untouched: high value nylon carcass and the classical make-up in German handicraft.

* SONDERKLASSE II: 3 plies / total 180 tpi
    * Steher: 3 plies / total 180 tpi
    Continental Bicycle -Sonderklasse II

I think more has changed than the color. The didn't used to be the coating of rubber on the sidewalls--it used to be treated (coated?) cotton, hence the "natural" color. There is definitely rubber now, but it is, of course, thin. Again, I have no clue how this would affect anything. They are still the bees knees for everyday track riding/racing.

lukasz is offline VSalonistas

Christ no joke that these are tight. I thought I got the wrong size tire. They're right when they label it a 27", haha. Anything you guys want to know about these? They pass the fondle and smell test.

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Christ no joke that these are tight. I thought I got the wrong size tire. They're right when they label it a 27", haha. Anything you guys want to know about these? They pass the fondle and smell test.
    Did you glue them on already or are you in the stretching phase? If the latter, definitely do the bath tube soak technique of Dorman's. It made a HUGE difference when I glued the Conti tubulars. I was able to mount them in place (relatively) easily.

ergott is offline VSalonistas

Man you guys have girls hands. The are tighter than the Veloflex I use, but I wouldn't classify the effort as anything very challenging. Do you guys start with the valve at 12 o clock and use your weight to stretch the tire down as you get towards 6 o clock.

I haven't mounted them yet. I actually only bought one to use as a spare and, y'know, examine. They were available via amazon prime and I couldn't resist the novelty of buying a niche cycling item with free two day shipping.

I soaked it for a few minutes then stuck it on a rim while wet. It is pumped up and stretching now. I'll leave it there and pump it up to 120+ routinely until I know it won't be a PITA on the road.

ergott: the veloflex go on by themselves, basically. I really thought that I bought the wrong size tire here! I haven't mounted many tubs yet so my technique isn't very good, but I do what you describe, just not very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    Man you guys have girls hands. The are tighter than the Veloflex I use, but I wouldn't classify the effort as anything very challenging. Do you guys start with the valve at 12 o clock and use your weight to stretch the tire down as you get towards 6 o clock.
    No really, the new stehers are in a different class of tight than any other tire I have ever mounted, including the old stehers. I did use exactly this technique.

PS. Frendly, but firm, slap on wrist for sexist remark.

Statistically, girls have smaller, weaker hands than grown men.

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    I haven't mounted them yet. I actually only bought one to use as a spare and, y'know, examine. They were available via amazon prime and I couldn't resist the novelty of buying a niche cycling item with free two day shipping.

I soaked it for a few minutes then stuck it on a rim while wet. It is pumped up and stretching now. I'll leave it there and pump it up to 120+ routinely until I know it won't be a PITA on the road.
    Glad you did the soaking - it will help for sure. It won't turn a Conti tub into an FMB or Veloflex when it comes to ease of mounting, but it will still help.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I soak the Conti's in a bath tub for about four hours, rather than a few minutes. I weigh the ends down so that the base tape is under water.

CXinNH is offline VSalonistas

Been running Steher's on the road for a few years.
    Very interested to see if these ones are different.

I can not mount them on my own, have my wife help me :-)
    But then, I don't presoak.

Auk
    Auk is online now VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    Palmolive?

A few hours, eh? I'll see how it feels in a few days. If it is still annoying then I'll do it for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    I can not mount them on my own, have my wife help me :-)
    First time I tried mounting Conti's was last year. I was at a shop with an experienced mechanic who had done hundreds of tub mountings before, and the two of us combined could barely get those damn things on. And that was with stretching them on rims for a couple of weeks (but no pre-soak). The mechanic quietly asked me afterwards to NEVER bring him Conti tubs to mount again :(

This year - did the pre-soak, stretched on rims for a few weeks and, presto, I was able to glue them without drama or mess, by myself. Still not as easy as an FMB, but I wasn't cursing!

Statistically...
    Oh. So you're one of those people. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Oh. So you're one of those people. Oh well.
    Those people? You wouldn't happen to be generalizing, would you?

Those people? You wouldn't happen to be generalizing, would you?
    Straw man much? Look, statistically my black students score lower on every single scholastic aptitude test than my white students. Trotting out "statistically" doesn't mean shit. Above you meant "weak" but you said "girl" and then tried to justify it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast