Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acura TSX Sportwagon owners - how do you transport your bikes?

pruckelshaus is offline VSalonistas

Default Acura TSX Sportwagon owners - how do you transport your bikes?

We traded my wife's old Mazda CX-9 (with a hitch and hitch-mounted rack) in for a new Acura TSX Sportwagon. I know there are a good number of roof rack options out there, but what are you using, and how well does it work? Right now I'm leaning towards this - Yakima Vehicle Rooftop Rack Systems - with a couple of Raptor Aero's - Yakima Raptor Aero roof Bike Rack - but was wondering if there were different or better options out there?

Thanks,

Pete
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

simple is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Acura TSX Sportwagon owners - how do you transport your bikes?

Cool car. I've only ever seen one on the road.

Personally on my wagon I went with a rack that mounted to the factory rails (not crossbars) and then put on Rocky Mounts Pitchforks.

Those Raptor racks look goofy and if you want a rack that works without taking your wheels off then go with a hitch rack. You'll save gas and your back at the same time. The howling wind noise of a roof system isn't fun as well.

davids is offline VSalonista

I thought I was the only one!

I've got two options:

• Fold down the rear seats and slide the bike in. A road bike, and even a decent-sized mountain bike, fits easily. Our tandem fits with either the wheels off or the wheels on & front end off (it's got S&S couplers.)
    • Slide the Yakima rack into the trailer hitch ($210 at the local UHaul) for up to 4 bikes.

This summer I imagine I'll be using both options at once at certain points to get the tandem and a road bike out to MI and around the Northeast.

I'm not a roof rack fan. That's because I'm short and they're noisy.

p.s. Congrats. It's a lovely car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I thought I was the only one!

I've got two options:

• Fold down the rear seats and slide the bike in. A road bike, and even a decent-sized mountain bike, fits easily. Our tandem fits with either the wheels off or the wheels on & front end off (it's got S&S couplers.)
    • Slide the Yakima rack into the trailer hitch ($210 at the local UHaul) for up to 4 bikes.

This summer I imagine I'll be using both options at once at certain points to get the tandem and a road bike out to MI and around the Northeast.

I'm not a roof rack fan. That's because I'm short and they're noisy.

Seen that car at Ballers. Wagons are about perfect for a cyclist. And they're stylish in their own way. Today's wagons from Acura or Audi or Mercedes are not your grandfather's Oldsmobile, or like the Olds I grew up with.
    My name is James Edward Kile

Saab reminded me - I did 'layer' two bikes in the back once - with a nice, thick blanket between them. No problems.
    GO!

fa63 is offline VSalonistas

I use the Yakima Forklift on my Nissan Murano and so far it has been great. So if that is any indication of Yakima's products in general, then you will probably be happy with the Raptor.

I also do not get any howling wind noise, even at highway speeds. Mileage suffers by about 1 mpg by my calculations (averaged over three 1,000+ mile road trips). If I had to complain about something, it would be the dead bugs I have to scrape off the bike after each trip :)

davids - that's the exact color my wife has. It's a great car; I've got a 2007 TSX Sedan (6MT) and it's been the best car I've ever owned.

The reason I was looking at the Raptor Aero is because it's my wife's car and she'd rather keep the front wheel on when she needs to rack her bike. I'll look at trailer hitch options, too, though etrailer only shows 1.25" receives for her car.

pruckelshaus' flickr

ergott is offline 2KClub

That's a beautiful car!

simple is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by pruckelshaus View Post
    though etrailer only shows 1.25" receives for her car.
    1.25" is all you need. Then you choose between Thule, Yakima, and Kuat

BTW, those bulky shock towers in the TSX wagon? Makes me happy I have nothing like that in my previous generation Outback.

TMB
    TMB is offline VSalonistas

I use, and have for over 20 years, a Yakima roof rack. I use the fork mount trays, not sure what they are called right now (copperhead ?), I also use a fairing in front of the first bar. I just mount the cross bars to the factory rails. Solid and secure.

For a longish trip, I wrap the main pipes in pipe insulation and the fork blades and handlebars in bubble wrap - takes care of the bug issue.

72gmc is offline VSalonistas

^^^ Same for me but I'm looking to switch because I love my dedicated fender bike. Metal fenders + fork mounts + long trays = no go. Never liked the swaying and noise of full upright roof mounts so I'm looking at hitch mounts.
    a one bike believer

liv2bike is online now VSalonistas

davids...that exact vehicle is on an Acura lot not far from my house. It only has 4,500 miles on it. I think it was a loaner. They want like $32K for it. It is tempting but that is a lot for what I think was an abused loaner. It looks pristine tho.

FWIW...On my A4 Avant I ran Thule aero bars and footpacks with three V2 fork mount trays arranged in an opposed fashion. A bit more noise from the wind, even with a fairing but that is a given.

Nice vehicle gents.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

A little research is telling me that the hitch isn't quite a DIY job, at least not for me. Putting a hitch on the CX-9 was dead easy, just drive the car onto the curb, grab a wrench, crawl under the car, and go, but for the TSX it looks quite a bit more involved.

Pete

pruckelshaus' flickr

rwsaunders is offline VSalonistas

I've been scoping a TSX wagon to replace my 12 year old A6 Avant when it passes. It's been through two teenage student drivers and it's still a reliable beast, especially in rotten weather...it can't last forever though. I've had a Yakima roof system for 20 plus years that I transfer from the A6 to my wife's Odyssey as needed, complete with bike trays and Rocketbox. For a short solo trip, I just flip down the rear seat per Davids' photo. If you go the roof direction, get a fairing, bug bras for the bikes as well as locks for the system. Check out Craigslist as from time to time, you see a system posted, or perhaps post a WTB. That might be a good way to test a system without paying a high price to do so.

houston is offline VSalonistas

I love those TSXs. I have a lower rent version, aka Mazda 6 hatchback that fits a bike perfectly with the 60 part of the 60/40 seats folded down. The rear wheel fits through the folded down seat and the handlebar can remain perpendicular to the ground with the front wheel removed. In my opinion, bikes transported in the car are far better than those sitting behind the bumper or on the roof. I hate roof racks. Keep doing what you are doing.

The Jetta wagon looks like a nice option as well.

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

So you have the factory racks already on the car? Get the WhisperBar Rail from Yakima. A lot more aerodynamic. Then add whatever two bike racks you want. For small cars, the fork mounts are always better aerodynamically (and you're less likely the whack your bikes with something,) but if you have someone who isn't in to front wheel removal, then do the uprights. Then put a good solid 2-3 step ladder in the back of your car. Nothing better than a roof top rack for carrying your bikes, especially on a nice car.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    davids...that exact vehicle is on an Acura lot not far from my house. It only has 4,500 miles on it. I think it was a loaner. They want like $32K for it. It is tempting but that is a lot for what I think was an abused loaner. It looks pristine tho.

Nice vehicle gents.
    For $32k it must have the nav package. I got the base model: $3500 for nav, a better stereo and power tailgate? No thanks. I paid $30.5k with 4 miles on it.

I bought a low-mileage "executive" car from Ford once. Worst. Car. Ever.

We really wanted the metallic gray but there's not enough stock out there - the dealer with a gray TSX wanted $1350 more than the dealer with the white TSX. I've grown quite fond of the white. My wife thinks white cars should only be sold to octogenarians in FL.
    GO!

ron l edmiston is offline VSalon House Dad-isata

just point the damn thing towards "gator-ville..," bikes will follow with a smile...

ronnie

velobran is offline VSalonistas

[snip] My wife thinks white cars should only be sold to octogenarians in FL.
    They still uphold the burgundy and gold marketshare. White cars down here come with Miami Heat license plates and are mostly driven by azzholes *

* "Mostly" because my wife has a white Volvo - but no Heat license plate - therefore - no azzhole.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

palincss is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    $32K is MSRP for the base model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast