Thread: 650B + 700C + Disc brakes + S&S couplers = cool bike?

jsrieck is offline VSalonistas

Default 650B + 700C + Disc brakes + S&S couplers = cool bike?

I don't know anything but I can imagineer...how about some feedback on this idea?

A 2.1" 650B knobby atb tire and a 33mm 700C tire are within 4mm of each other. Does that mean a good handling bike can be built that uses both tires?

I would want the bike to handle like a race-oriented XC bike - nimble, but still able to lift the front wheel for trail riding.

It would be sort of a "middle-ground" bike. I've got a full-on road bike, and I've got a FS trail bike. I want something in the middle for gravel roads and a little rougher. With S&S couplers this could be the ultimate business trip bike!

Looking forward to y'alls thoughts!

PS - Any builders that have some experience with this sort of bike don't be shy...or send me a PM.

xjoex is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: 650B + 700C + Disc brakes + S&S couplers = cool bike?

I have a very similar bike, well with 26" and 700c wheels, and no couplers... I wonder if I can get them put on? It is a cannondale bad boy.

Anyhow with 700c wheels it is a quick steering and quick riding bike.

With 26" wheels it is a super fun XC bike.

It is very versatile. The only thing I would change, this frame was not built around a suspension fork. So I need to just buy a medium Spooky one of these days!
    -Joe

Chauncey Matthews is offline VSalonistas

That's a great idea. This is close to what I like to build the most, a snappy handling bike that has the ablility to handle any kind of road/trail and feel like it belongs there. Only I'd probably never take the 2.1's off. All my rides are at least 50% dirt and let me tell you, there aren't many smooth dirt roads in NM!
    Where do you think you'll be riding it the most?
    I ask because you might want to reconsider your geometry a bit- the MTB XC set up will make the bike a better descender, but something more road oriented will feel more nimble everywhere else.

andys is offline VSalonistas

Rawland 650B. The disk version makes 700c wheel swaps easy. It can be set up w/ flat bars also. If you use Pauls Motolite BMX brakes the wheels can be swapped on rim brakes. Sorry for the goofy iphone pic.

Attached Images Attached Images

EricKeller is offline VSalonistas

This seems like a really good idea. Maybe this is what my next mtb'ish bike will be like

Quote Originally Posted by andys View Post
    Rawland 650B. The disk version makes 700c wheel swaps easy. It can be set up w/ flat bars also. If you use Pauls Motolite BMX brakes the wheels can be swapped on rim brakes. Sorry for the goofy iphone pic.
    I've been looking at those. Do the 700C wheels fit good or is there unnecessary clearance? I don't really like the new version with the third-world fake lugs on the head tube...but that's just aesthetic and personal. I do like the fork, it is an elegant way to hide the wide crown that is inherent in the design. Now only if it came with S&S couplers!

steve garro is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by andys View Post
    If you use Pauls Motolite BMX brakes the wheels can be swapped on rim brakes.
    this is what my wife's 650B flower bike from NAHBS-PDX was made to do, exactly. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Tom Kellogg is offline VSalonistas

650_700_Tandem.jpg

You've already seen this one ... Single speed, S&S, 650, 700, Cross/Road tandem. Cool? Your call.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Zimmermanbicycle is offline VSalonistas

Here's one I built for my wife 650bx42 or 700cx32,she was nervous about going 650b for touring so it's set up to go either way. works great on the dirt roads with the fat 650s!
    -Eric

EricKeller is offline VSalonistas

Eric, what brakes are those?

link is offline VSalonistas

i ride a 650b 2.1 rear wheel HT with a 29er 2.35 front wheel and 100mm suspension fork ...very lovely, but i'm biased.
    "Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is "empathy", for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in anotherís world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding." - Bill Bullard.

YiPsan is offline VSalonistas

Mostly mounted with smooth tread tires and fender, but take the fender off, and you can put a quasi moto on. the second picture shows a different bike with the same design features with the quasi moto.
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Zimmermanbicycle is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    Eric, what brakes are those?
    Hi Eric,
    they are the Tektro R556 in black also available in silver,they seem to work just fine.
    -Eric

suspectdevice is offline VSalonistas

We run 3 sizes of wheels on our XC team bikes- It works pretty well, the big wheels are great for shortrack...

The new batch of production Darksides will certainly fit plenty of different tires- it's not perfect, supposedly, but I have no complaints. Just don't expect the handling to be exactly the same with different wheelsizes....
    mickey.denoncourt
    www.spookybikes.com
    instagram

protorio is offline VSalonistas

I have a Rawland set up in such a way but with the sliding Paul MotoliteBMX brakes. Rides great either way.

andys is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by jsrieck View Post
    I've been looking at those. Do the 700C wheels fit good or is there unnecessary clearance? I don't really like the new version with the third-world fake lugs on the head tube...but that's just aesthetic and personal. I do like the fork, it is an elegant way to hide the wide crown that is inherent in the design. Now only if it came with S&S couplers!
    Sorry for the late reply, been on a road trip with the fam. I think they look/work fine at 700C. I agree about the lugs on the new one. It's a good ride for sorta cheap.

Eddie is offline 3KClub

Here's my poor man's version, soon to be rebuilt with drop bars, 9-speed bits, and a Sugino XD triple. The geometry of the Surly is designed around a 32mm tire, so the trail is slightly less when you mount a 29'er tire, slightly more when you mount a road tire, but the geometry is neutral enough that it still works out alright. Not as ideal as swapping between 650b's and 700's to maintain nearly the same tire OD, but if you're going to travel with it, you can only fit two wheels in the case anyway, and with a mere tire swap and wide gearing you can ride road or trail pretty effectively. Ultimately, I'd like to have a custom one built around mechanical discs with bespoke geometry.

As for builders to execute such a build; hey, it's a great time to be a custom buyer. I spoke with Drew Estlund (Engin) about this at NAHBS, and I've seen some Hunter builds of this type. Stephen Bilenky and co. as well. My personal first pick might be Garro, although I think he's booked up for a while. DK, Carl, Zanc might be willing to do a 'cross'ish bike with wide clearances.

Thanks for the input. I've been trying to think about how I want to describe how the bike should feel.

How would y'all interpret each of these descriptions:

"I want a cross bike built around 650B tires & mechanical disc brakes."

OR

"I want a cross country mountain bike built around a rigid fork, drop bars, 650B wheels, and mechanical disc brakes."

Thoughts?

Thanks.