Thread: 11-Speed Campy Cassette for Shimano splined freehub options...are these available?

VeloRyan is offline VSalonistas

Default 11-Speed Campy Cassette for Shimano splined freehub options...are these available?

So I'm entering in to the foray of Campagnolo (been wanting to try it for a while on one of my bikes) and I'm sure I've heard of a Campy cassette (11-speed specifically is what I'm interested in) that can be mounted to a Shimano splined freehub. I know IRD does a 10-speed version but I'm not seeing an 11-speed version (am I missing it on their site??).

Anyone that can help point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
    --VeloRyan--

caleb is online now VSalonistas

Default Re: 11-Speed Campy Cassette for Shimano splined freehub options...are these available

I don't think the Shimano freehub body is wide enough for 11 Campagnolo gears to fit. 10, yes. 11, no.

If I'm wrong, this wouldn't be the first time though.

Default Re: 11-Speed Campy Cassette for Shimano splined freehub options...are these available

caleb-
    Thanks, that makes sense. I was hoping I was missing something to avoid the dedicated Campy wheel setup....but it might be unavoidable.
    --VeloRyan--

Joachim is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by VeloRyan View Post
    So I'm entering in to the foray of Campagnolo (been wanting to try it for a while on one of my bikes) and I'm sure I've heard of a Campy cassette (11-speed specifically is what I'm interested in) that can be mounted to a Shimano splined freehub. I know IRD does a 10-speed version but I'm not seeing an 11-speed version (am I missing it on their site??).

Anyone that can help point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
    Yes, there is. Its called the Wheels Manufacturing Accelerator 11-speed Conversion cassette by Wheels Manufacturing of course. You can install 11 speed on a Shimano 8, 9 , 10 speed body. Excelsports carries them, but they are pricey.

Dorman is offline VSalonistas

Yeah, I think you are pretty much out of luck there. Usually if you need to do this going with a DT240 rear hub is the best band-aid as you can easily swap freehubs and not have to redish the wheel.

Well, and then you can do what the other guy said...

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
    Yes, there is. Its called the Wheels Manufacturing Accelerator 11-speed Conversion cassette by Wheels Manufacturing of course. You can install 11 speed on a Shimano 8, 9 , 10 speed body. Excelsports carries them, but they are pricey.
    Awesome, Thanks Joachim!! Have you, or have you known anyone that has used one of these? Just wondering if shift quality is diminished or if it might cause other "issues" somewhere/somehow.
    --VeloRyan--

PGSmith is offline VSalonistas

The conversion cassettes work reasonably well, but several hubs switch between Shimano/SRAM and Campy quite easily (e.g. DT, Mavic, Velocity). If you already have a wheelset like one of those, then the cassette body may be the better way to go.

the bottle ride is online now VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
    I used the 10 speed version for a few years on a bike that I wanted king hubs on- the only thing I heard, but did not experience, was that the cassettes are fast wearing. They are a little pricey.

Joachim is offline VSalonistas

I've heard from Vecchio's that they work really well. Its actually a 'machined' Shimano cassette, Ultegra I think. No personal experience but I am interested since I really like 7700 hubs.

After you're post about the Wheels Manufacturing Accelerator 11 cassette (Joachim) I looked it up on their website and this is what it stated.
    "Campagnolo Ergo shifter-compatible Shimano Shimano 105 11-speed conversion cassette"
    "Eleven specially-modified Shimano 105 cogs on Shimano cassette for use with 11-speed Campagnolo Ergo shifters"

Sounds like it would work great.
    --VeloRyan--

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

Harris Cyclery has a decent table of cog and spacer dimensions. From the table, the spacers for Campy 11 and Shimano 10 are the same spacing (1.6mm.) The cogs are 0.1mm thicker for the Shimano cogset, but the total width of the Shimano cogset is 2.9mm smaller than the Campagnolo. Thus the need to do some machining, which might also explain the reduced wear life of the cogset.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Frame and Cassette Spacing Crib Sheet

4rings6stars is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by VeloRyan View Post
    After you're post about the Wheels Manufacturing Accelerator 11 cassette (Joachim) I looked it up on their website and this is what it stated.
    "Campagnolo Ergo shifter-compatible Shimano Shimano 105 11-speed conversion cassette"
    "Eleven specially-modified Shimano 105 cogs on Shimano cassette for use with 11-speed Campagnolo Ergo shifters"

Sounds like it would work great.
    Sorry for digging up an old thread. Did you ever try that conversion cassette? How has it worked out for you?

It's been 7 months...anybody know if anything else like this exists out there?

Trying to figure out the easiest way to get Chorus 11 and disc brakes on my new cross frame...when I save up some cash I'll probably have a wheelset built around DT 240s (hell, by then maybe White Industries or King will have 135 spaced Campy 11 disc options...)

Flying Pigeon is offline VSalonistas

The 11-27 Wheels 11sp conversion cassette i have works great. It is a reworked ultegra.

It would be funny if it 'converts' all the way to 11sp shimano.
    10sp shimano -> 11s campy -> 11sp shimano

coylifut is offline VSalonistas

the one i have works great. yes. ultegra cogs and wears like one which is to say not quite as long as a chorus cassette, but much longer record.

Gradient is offline VSalonistas

I've just graduating to 10spd and was thrilled to find these Ambrosio Shimano splined Campy cassettes with nice spacing: http://www.probikekit.com/us/ambrosi...-10-speed.html

miwuksurfer is offline VSalonistas

Slightly off topic, but it looks like White Industries is making an 11 speed shimano or campy disc hub now.

White Industries

4rings6stars is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Slightly off topic, but it looks like White Industries is making an 11 speed shimano or campy disc hub now.

White Industries
    It's spaced at 130 though...I have no idea why they did that.

Tristan is offline VSalonistas

You would still need to buy a freehub but...
    Campagnolo and Shimano 11 speed cassettes - should work fine (picture)