Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243444546474849505152 LastLast
Like Tree870Likes

Thread: Independent Fabrication

RichTheRoadie is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Independent Fabrication

And that is completely fair enough, and understandable - there's just something in my head that says: "but it's got an oversize head tube, so why wouldn't you?!". I just think it looks a bit odd without.

Besides which, if that is the case then why did they bother doing the XS OS?... Not an argument - just sayin'.

corko is offline VSalonistas
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States

hey Rich, you make some good points...... I would just say that you never know what you can get until you ask....... just as an example...... I always intensely disliked the curved seatstays of the XS so asked if it would be possible to have the rear end full TI.... guess what?

My XS is an OS so came with the large headtube and came with the tapered headtube as standard..... and I'm really glad It did, not quite so chuffed with the PF30 BB.

I've owned Tyler era Ifs and post Somerville If's, you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference..... although i kinda sorta get where you are coming from on the creativity/originality front, but then again financially the Co. was in the shitter 'til Gary showed up.
    personally i am very happy with all my IF dealings......I like where the company is in the world.

When it comes to custom you just have to follow your heart...... but you know that anyway.
    RichTheRoadie likes this.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

mjbabcock is offline VSalonistas

While I understand that some reminisce about the olden days of IF, these folks make bikes that are the best in the world. There are peers and some of those peers used to work at IF, but I don't know that I would put anyone above Gary and crew. That the most current iteration of the business is viable is even better. There's one from this afternoon's ride...thanks IF.

Matthew Strongin is offline sheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheversshevers

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    While I understand that some reminisce about the olden days of IF, these folks make bikes that are the best in the world. There are peers and some of those peers used to work at IF, but I don't know that I would put anyone above Gary and crew. That the most current iteration of the business is viable is even better. There's one from this afternoon's ride...thanks IF.
    And it's coupled. That thing looks like a blast.
    danielroper, Orion, StR and 1 others like this.

NYCfixie is offline VSalonistas

You are killing me....cross?, Gravel Royale? Drop bar 29er? Some other combination?
    Diablo de Acero and jimbo like this.

You know, it was a recent eBay auction and I think it was originally a mountain bike. That said, I took the dimensions and put them into bikeCAD. If I kept the stem low and put on drop bars I could achieve the same fit as my Pegoretti (only higher in the air). The F-C and R-C are both longer, but I'm balanced between the wheels in a way that feels good. The steering is definitely slower than a road bike, but not such that it's boring to ride.

I'm trying to get a bike that I can ride to mountain climbs on, even if the climbs are 30-40 miles from my house. I think what I might end up doing is carrying these WTB tires in a pack and changing them out once I'm switching from pavement to gravel. So...technically a drop bar 29er.
    pajotfix and jimbo like this.

treadonme is offline VSalonistas

Cool idea re: changing tires during the ride.
    I'd love to hear your opinion on the differences in handling between the two tire diameters, 'specially on the road.

You know, it was a recent eBay auction and I think it was originally a mountain bike. That said, I took the dimensions and put them into bikeCAD. If I kept the stem low and put on drop bars I could achieve the same fit as my Pegoretti (only higher in the air). The F-C and R-C are both longer, but I'm balanced between the wheels in a way that feels good. The steering is definitely slower than a road bike, but not such that it's boring to ride.

I'm trying to get a bike that I can ride to mountain climbs on, even if the climbs are 30-40 miles from my house. I think what I might end up doing is carrying these WTB tires in a pack and changing them out once I'm switching from pavement to gravel. So...technically a drop bar 29er.

Pwedy is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: My IF

I thought this was up for sale on eBay which for the life of me...I could not understand...

blasdelf is offline VSalonistas

The Nanoraptor is now 15 years old!

There are a zillion better options now that are faster on the road and also grippier on the dirt.

If you're going to go through the whole bother, Nanos are just about my last choice of a tire to carry and switch to mid-ride

zetroc is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post

There are a zillion better options now that are faster on the road and also grippier on the dirt.

If you're going to go through the whole bother, Nanos are just about my last choice of a tire to carry and switch to mid-ride
    so you're gonna wait for a "thank you so much" to show up now, right?
    blasdelf likes this.
    steve cortez

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post

Yeah, I know. I was going to buy some Clement MSO's, but there is a local bike co-op that sells used crap. I got NOS WTB tires, a pair of Clement Griffo Clinchers in great shape, and a pair of Stan's The Crow for $40 all in. I figured at that point I've got a range of sizes and tread styles to work with. The Stans tire seems awesome but I wonder about the durability of those sidewalls.

As for picking a tire, I'm thinking that volume is going to be more important in any decision on what to carry than tread. Logging roads don't really get much mud, but they do get rip-rap. That said, what tire would you be trying out?

DCT
    DCT is offline Administrator

justiin @ signature finished building this IF for me. well not for me directly, but sorta!

robin3mj is offline VSalonistas

Looks smaller than a typical Darren bike...is there a lady friend you wanna tell us about?
    my name is Matt

MJR77 : random photos

corko is offline VSalonistas
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Darren, such a trendsetter..... skinny bike for the snow, when everyone else is buying fat bikes......
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Bobonli is offline VSalonistas

Looks like it is pointed toward Thai Basil! Damn they make handsome/pretty bikes.

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Looks smaller than a typical Darren bike...is there a lady friend you wanna tell us about?
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

Philster is offline VSalonistas

Valentine's day present? Way to go!

DCT
    DCT is offline Administrator

Thanks guys, this should see a lot of use once the snow is gone. Fender mounts as well.
    al415 and newellbt like this.

GSmith is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I can tell you that I've ridden with Gary a couple times he was on THE Corvid they sent out for destructive testing. Apparently the lab gave up, he's still riding the bike, it looks perfect and when I'm eyeballing the bike from the rear when he's gunning it hard up a hill I can detect no discernible chain stay movement. The bike is gorgeous.
    Totally false... I am absolutely incapable of "gunning it it hard up a hill".

GSmith is offline VSalonistas

I thought that some of you might be interested in the post NAHBS press coverage that featured IF:

First up is Red Kite Prayer, where Patrick Brady, lead judge at NAHBS, discusses various winners. We won for Best Finish, and while some kvetch about the awards, I have to admit that this one has been my Moby Dick. We've previously won for best type of bike, type of material, and type of construction method, so this one was the missing link, and the category where I think we truly differentiate ourselves since we do all finishing in house.

Next up is Velonews, who made their own Best Of list and gave us thumbs up for Best Cyclocross. This bike is our first build for Dylan McNicholas' 2014 CX campaign.

Bike Rumor focused in on what was new, and for us there were a few things. Like more and more folks, I've caught the fat bike bug, and while I like my Salsa Mukluk, we needed to build one, so the Chubby D-Lux was born. We've also been making stainless steel road and CX bikes for some time, but did not have the proper tubes available to make a SS MTB, until now. Reynold's launch of 921, a cold worked stainless, allows for the level of manipulation required by today's preferred tire sizes. We made up a 650B in this new material.

Bike Radar called us out in several posts, featuring my personal S&S coupler travel bike under their coverage on gravel grinders and fat tired road bikes. It is the simplest machine that I could imagine for getting out when I'm traveling, mostly to cities. Clearance for 32's (great for Euro cobbles and curbs), naked ti to minimize paint damage in the case, and a grease/mess free belt drive. One brake cable and I'm ready to roll. They also mentioned our ti 29er single speed and the new Chubby D-Lux.

Bicycling Magazine gave us a shout out in their Best of NAHBS coverage for the orange ti 29er single speed, which was the most popular bike in our booth.

Lastly, some great photos here from John Jackson, professional photographer.

It was a good show, and thanks for looking.
    corko, DCT, dogrange and 2 others like this.