Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 145

Thread: Carl Strong

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Carl Strong

    My new steel rig, finally built up...

    Build is 2009 campy centaur alloy, thomson elite seatpost and stem, selle italia saddle and 3TTT ergosum pro handlebars. Wheels were built by Peter White, Velocity rims + NOS Campy Record hubs; tires are Gommitalia Calypso-Ks.







    Last edited by srenda; 01-26-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: update pix2
     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    3,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Re: Your front valve.

    Please tell me you don't fill up your tires using a compressor for automobiles...
     

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    no shore, mass
    Posts
    12,232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    always liked orange bikes.

    what was yr last bike?
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Re: Your front valve.

    Please tell me you don't fill up your tires using a compressor for automobiles...
    Why not? I do it all the time.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

    A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    always liked orange bikes.
    Me too. Orange is hot. Just like my lovin'.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

    A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Caleb: Long time ago, I hit a patch of glass and flatted both tires. I patched one and replace the tube on another, but didn't have enough CO2 to pump both tires. At the time, an older rider came by with a pump, except it didn't work on presta valves. It was only for a schrader valve! Which sucked, b/c no one else came by. After, I picked these caps up at Performance for $.99 and keep one on each of my bikes, just in case that ever happens again.

    SteveP: Serotta Atlanta, which I now plan to sell, and a Litespeed, that's long gone. Also have a Panasonic Dx-4000 from the mid-80s which I love.
     

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    love the color!
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    7,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    nice gruppo choice.

    cheers,
    flux
    Is that the all-alloy Super Record? It looks like it.

    p.s. Great frame - I love the color, too!
    GO!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's my new Strong on it's shakedown ride. I can't wait for spring...
    Attached Images Attached Images
     

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Carl Strong delivered this to me recently. Will post more pics once it is built.
    Attached Images Attached Images
     

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    StL Hills
    Posts
    429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jellis, Is that stainless peaking through on the down tube or silver accent paint? Either way, look forward to build pics.

    jimi
     

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nope. Just silver paint.
     

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco
    Posts
    736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by indigocycles View Post
    Here's my new Strong on it's shakedown ride. I can't wait for spring...
    Super yummy.
     

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    1,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by indigocycles View Post
    Here's my new Strong on it's shakedown ride. I can't wait for spring...
    Very cool! Looks like you have zip tie saddles on the TT/ST for a rear derailleur cable. Did you make any provisions for a front shifter or will you run it as a 1x9? Curious because I'm setting up a similar bike and debating whether I should skip the front derailleur.

    :)
     

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Strong

    Bought used on the Serotta forum from Adam. Love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
     

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Very cool! Looks like you have zip tie saddles on the TT/ST for a rear derailleur cable. Did you make any provisions for a front shifter or will you run it as a 1x9? Curious because I'm setting up a similar bike and debating whether I should skip the front derailleur.

    :)
    Thanks, it will live most of it's life as a single speed, but I like the option to run 1x9 if necessary (i.e. spring out of shape riding...)
     

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kodiak, AK
    Posts
    935
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What's a complete steel Strong come in at, weight wise?
     

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fourflys View Post
    What's a complete steel Strong come in at, weight wise?
    Depends on build and tubing selection. Mine is Chorus with Ksyrium ES's (56.5) and ready to ride weight is 17.5
     

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kodiak, AK
    Posts
    935
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gearguywb View Post
    Depends on build and tubing selection. Mine is Chorus with Ksyrium ES's (56.5) and ready to ride weight is 17.5
    Thanks, I'm getting real close to getting a new bike, but am having a hard time deciding on material... I have a Rivendell Bleriot (steel, of course) that weighs 31# with rack, etc and I guess that makes me hesitant to go steel. I realize steel can be a lot lighter than 31#, just not sure if I should be going Ti or carbon (might have a line on a Serotta Ottrott real soon).

    I saw Carl's work at NAHBS and even talked with him a bit... If I go steel, I'm thinking either a Strong or Desalvo...

    Anyone else?

    Chris
     

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A good frame weighs what it weighs, imho.
    I don't think the frame is really going to make that much difference in the overall equation (between what you're talking about)--maybe a pound at most? Get what you like and build it with reasonable parts and wheels and I suspect your bike will be light enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fourflys View Post
    Thanks, I'm getting real close to getting a new bike, but am having a hard time deciding on material... I have a Rivendell Bleriot (steel, of course) that weighs 31# with rack, etc and I guess that makes me hesitant to go steel. I realize steel can be a lot lighter than 31#, just not sure if I should be going Ti or carbon (might have a line on a Serotta Ottrott real soon).

    I saw Carl's work at NAHBS and even talked with him a bit... If I go steel, I'm thinking either a Strong or Desalvo...

    Anyone else?

    Chris
     

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •